Outline and details of arranging Sex Reassignment Surgery (SRS) in Hong Kong
If you are a Hong Kong citizen, you will be subsidized by the government on GID assessment as well as SRS in the Public Hospital System and the overall cost is very low. The only problem is the period of time is much longer. It might take 1 to 4 years from beginning to SRS depends on your situation. Yet we do not recommend you should rush for the surgery as during the period of assessment, doctors will help you in the preparation and let you have time to understand your needs on the transitioning. That's very important for your future life. If you have enough preparation already and can bear a high private clinic cost, you can use the information below to connect to some of the private psychiatrists to move on the transitioning process.
A summary on Public GID Clinic vs Private Clinic
|Public GID Clinic||Private Clinic|
|Required a referral letter for booking of the first appointment||Book directly|
|A one-stop service until all follow up after SRS. No need to arrange each of the clinics by yourself||Not to arrange each of the clinics like psychiatrist, psychologist, endocrinology (hormonal treatment), etc|
|Slow scheduling (including first and future appointments)||Fast scheduling (almost immediately)|
|The fee is usually low (for example, the first consultation in the psychiatric department is HK$135, and the subsequent consultation is HK$80)||High fees (ranging from $1000-2000 each time)|
|Temporarily only serve Hong Kong residents||Service for all people|
|After receiving the SRS letters from Psychiatrist and Psychologist, you can still choose to go abroad for surgery.||After receiving the SRS letter from Psychiatrist and Psychologist, if you choose to go to the government hospital for SRS, you need to schedule from the beginning with the surgical department.|
|The SRS fee is under HK$2,000 (Breast implant will be paid by the patient. Usually under HK$10,000)||SRS costs range from HK$80,000 to HK$2xx,000|
|The assessment process may take from 1 to 4 years||Can be very fast (but not recommended to skip)|
|There are not many choices on hormone||There may be better medicines to choose from|
|Follow up after SRS||Follow-up after SRS needs to be re-scheduled with the GID clinic
The process of Sex Reassignment
*the information provided below only attended to the procedures relevant to the Surgery itself. If you do have a need for sex reassignment and are confident and prepared to face the new challenges of a new life, these are roughly the steps you have to walk through
- Acquire a letter of referral from a general practitioner or a family doctor for the referral to GID Clinic.
- Submit the letter to Gender Identity Disorder Clinic, Department of Psychiatry in Prince of Wales Hospital for an appointment. (On the left of the entrance, 3/F Li Ka Shing Specialist Outpatient Clinics North Wing)
or recognized psychiatrists and psychologists (contact us for more info)
- Informed by the Psychiatric Unit/Sex Clinic of the first appointment (may take 6-18 months *).
- Referred by the psychiatric unit to the psychologist and other specialties including the endocrinologist, speech therapist and social worker, etc.
- For a certain time of period, the doctor will discuss with the client of undergoing the “Real Life Experience” (RLE). The client will receive a supporting letter from the doctor for him/her to live more easy as another gender.
- Receive “Hormone Replacement Therapy” (HRT) prescribed by the psychiatric unit or endocrinology.
- Confirmation of client’s need and applicability for Sex Reassignment Surgery from the psychiatric unit and psychological unit separately.
- With the 2 referral letters of surgery from the two units mentioned above, head for Prince of Wales Hospital to book an appointment in the surgical out-patient unit.
- Informed by the surgical unit of the first appointment.
- Client makes pre-operative preparation upon doctor’s request.
- One or more Sex Reassignment Surgeries are commenced.
- The client will receive a testimonial letter of SRS from the hospital after he/she has completed the full SRS procedures according to the government administrative guideline.
- A deed poll should be drafted by a legally qualified person to change the name if there is a need.
- Go to the Immigration Department to apply for the change of sex and/or name with the testimonial letter of SRS.
- Amend the relevant entry/entries in other credentials and service accounts upon the reception of the updated identity documents. In general, the patient’s record kept by the Hospital Authority will be updated automatically after the surgery.
- Prescription of after-surgery hormone supplements from the doctor according to client’s need.
- Further consultations by the psychiatric unit and surgical unit until satisfactory.
- The sequence of steps varies slightly according to the client’s condition and the hospital’s arrangement.
- To amend the gender marker on ID card in Hong Kong, one should complete the SRS procedure described in the administrative guideline of Immigration Departure. For more information, please check with Q22 of the link here http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/idcard/hkic/faq_hkic.htm
- Service charges for medical services provided by HA hospitals/clinics:
- GID Clinic provides one-stop cross-specialized assessments and medical services for patients across the territory, with no territory restrictions.
- GID respect the privacy of their patients in which all letters can be collected from the clinic on request. The clinic will contact each patient when there is letter ready for collection.
Waiting Time for New Case Booking at GID Clinic: 4-6 months
If you seek to arrange a sexual reassignment surgery in Hong Kong or are experiencing severe anxiety of gender identity, you can book an appointment with the GID clinic under the psychiatric unit of Prince Wales Hospital. The client needs to acquire a letter of referral from a registered doctor in Hong Kong by stating during the consultation, his will to be referred to a particular psychiatric specialty due to gender identity disorder. The ID card no. and the name of the client must be indicated in the letter. If there is any occasion of discourtesy of discrimination from the practitioner of doctor, you hold the right to declare the service unprofessional and request suspension of service. In general, it is very unlikely to happen in the government general out-patient clinic.
As the letter of referral is valid for 3 months only, please accompany a relative or go by yourself within three months, to the GID clinic of Prince Wales Hospital to book for an appointment with the letter of referral, identity documents and address proof (such as water, electric bill). The waiting time for a new case is around 6 to 18 months.
Prince of Wales Hospital Psychiatric Unit- Gender Identity Disorder Clinic
Address: Prince of Wales Hospital, 30-32 Ngan Shing Street, Shatin, New Territories.
* If the patient is under age of 18, his parents must approve and accompany him on the first appointment in a sex clinic.
* The Government GID Clinic and SRS service now only provided to Hong Kong permanent citizens. Non-citizens should go to a private psychiatrist and private hospital.
Referral Letter for GID Clinic:
A general practitioner or family doctor will not charge an extra fee for referral letter and we are not able to provide information of different doctor's fee.
GID Clinic Assessment Fee：Including the psychiatric department, the first visit charge is HK$135, followed by HK$80 each time. Each drug charges HK$15.
Surgery (SRS) Fee: Hospital Admission fee HK$75. Daily charge HK$120 with a small amount of misc. charges. Variant Surgery Selective materials such as breast implants are required to pay, depending on the price chosen, ranging from about HK$8000.
Gender Assessment Private Clinic
Doctor Mak Kai Lok, Gregory (Psychiatrist)
Mobile: 26876777 / 98028680
Address: Room 1201A, Hing Wai Building, 36 Queen's Road Central, Central, Hong Kong
Doctor Au Yeung Kwok Leung (Psychiatrist)
Mobile: 26876777 / 98028680
*TGR does not benefit from disseminating the medical practitioners' information. It is for user's reference only.
Precaution on Hormone Replacement Therapy
So transgender people wish to purchase and apply self-medication of hormone to alter their body condition towards the opposite sex. TGR do not encourage self-medication of hormone without doctor’s prescription or follow-up, but please have a regular body check if this is the only way. Hormone supplement affects the function of liver and kidney, and due to physique or other problems, unnatural obesity, headache, fatigue, emotional fluctuation or other serious effects may happen after dosage. Therefore, take great care of the changes of your body.
The hormone applied on FTM and MTF is entirely different, FTM uses injected testosterone in most cases, which has the least effect on liver and kidney, with the highest absorption rate. MTF in most cases takes oral Estrogen and Anti-Androgen simultaneously, while some choose injection, adhesives or rub on cream on skin. There are also some people who prefer natural foods or Chinese medicines to adjust their bodies, of which the effect is not strong, yet safe.
Transsexual Voice Surgery
Dr. Su Voice Beauty Clinic
Kamol Cosmetic Hospital
Open Feminization Laryngoplasty: https://www.kamolhospital.com/en/Voice-Feminization.php
MTF Voice Feminization Training: https://www.kamolhospital.com/en/Voice-Feminization-Training.php
(The following information is provided by others and edited by TGR. Only for reference.)
- Preparation List for SRS (Chinese)
- Procedure for Sex and Name change after SRS (Chinese)
- Doctor Referral Letter Sample
- Peecock - FTM/Transman Products
- transthetics - FTM/Transman Products